KIN

.

Time.

Posted on: Monday, August 26, 2013

Dear Amy,

You know that movie with Justin Timberlake "In Time" where they pay for everything with time on their life? I've never seen it, but lately I've been thinking about it a lot. Time. It's fleeting. It goes by too quickly. There never seems to be enough.

All this to say, I'm sorry I didn't write back last week. Time was moving a little quicker than my feet. Work was very busy. Little boys were learning to crawl everywhere and teeth were popping through. Husbands were holding wives hands and making them dinner and kissing them sweetly on the back of the head. Life was busy, and I didn't want to miss a minute of it.

This guy is sick today. If I had all the time in the world, I'd kiss his hot forehead for hours.
I always wish I had more time. More time to mop the floors. More time to read books. More time to paint my nails, learn to weave baskets, work on the blog. But that's what great about life, isn't it? It's got an expiration. There is no never-ending supply of time. So the time we have is really worth something. It's worth a lot. And sometimes, I find that I need to spend that time doing nothing but watching my son grow and playing footsy with my husband.

If you had three more hours every day, what would you do with it? My first reaction is to claim that time for sleep. But I think I'd like to do something more meaningful with it. I'd like to learn a new skill (basket weaving, graphic design, film photography, pottery). I'd like to spend a few more hours playing with Harry's hair while he sleeps next to me. Spend a few more hours playing Scrabble with Jon. Three more hours a day would be fabulous for living life a little more. A little fuller.

It's kind of ironic timing, this post, considering your last amy & bear post (beautiful, by the way). Would you want more time, if it were offered to you? More hours in the day? More days in the year? More years in your life? I can't decide. If life were like a cool, sunny afternoon spent laying on a blanket under the trees with my two boys... I'd want life to go on forever. But like I mused earlier, would it be worth it? Would it still be special?

It's interesting to me what growing up can do. And especially what growing up because you're forced to (thanks military life) can do. I don't really feel like I'm ever in my comfort zone anymore. I'm always learning and growing. There is always a deployment, a TDY, a war looming. There is always something new to experience with raising a military brat. Growing is good, but sometimes it can feel so forced. It takes time to figure it all out... but we don't have much of it.

If you were given an hour right now, and you had to use it for anything irresponsible, what would you use it for? No chores or tasks that need to get done. I think I'd do something crafty. I miss being crafty.

Until next time,
Mallory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Kin All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger