KIN

.

The End of Summer is Always Welcome

Posted on: Thursday, August 1, 2013

Amy,

As stressed as you are for the end of the summer, I am excited. Don't get me wrong, I'm dreading an upcoming deployment. Dreading it. Not thinking about it. Not thinking about drawing up wills and buying life insurance. Not thinking about babies growing up (and saying "MAMA" last night!) and Papa's missing it. Not thinking about months on my own.

When it's too hot outside, we pretend.

But the end of summer is always a happy day in our house. We are outdoorsmen (even Harry is developing a firm sense of loyalty for the outdoors) and heat takes it out of me, man. Summer sun, especially in the hot, hot, muggy, buggy south, is not kind to my body. I like to be chilly, or even down right cold, so fall is always welcome, and winter even more so.

Anyway, that just turned into a novel about my love of cold. So, all that to say, I'm looking forward to a break from the heat.

I'm also looking forward to my self-imposed Clean and Organize this House Fest 2013. I'm waiting until fall, so I have something fun (yes, I said fun) to do to keep my busy when certain persons are not living in my house. But man, this house is about to get organized up from the floor up. And the Goodwill is getting some major donations. (Don't tell Jon!)

What else am I looking forward to? Everyday with Harry. He's growing up in front of my eyes, and I'm dying over how cute he is. He's started calling me (and everyone else) Mama. He learned how to sit himself up, and promptly decided it was time to stand as well. He's got opinions on what books he likes to read, and he lets me know. He wants to walk. Everywhere. Which is especially exhausting, since he requires a helping hand in doing so. But while it's all so exhausting, it's also exhilarating. Watching every new day with him reminds me how precious life is... and how exciting a metal measuring cup really is.

Let's talk about grad school. YAY! I'm so proud of you for going for it, lady. You were made for higher learning, and you're going to love it. I'm so stinking stoked! Good for you for going for it. I know it took some guts.

Arkansas in the winter. Petit Jean State Park.
And might I just say, Arkansas in the fall is (presumably (I only lived there in the winter and spring)) gorgeous. There are so many great state parks, with some beautiful trails. Great camping, and perfect spots for s'mores and hotdogs roasted over a fire. I'm a little jealous of the fall you're facing. (Okay, a lot jealous.)

The cookie challenge has not started, mainly because I don't have any poor souls to give the surplus cookies to. I'm about to start ding dong ditching cookies. You heard it hear, friends. The newest trend. Ding dong ditching cookies.

Your cold weather friend,
Mallory

2 comments:

  1. New cookie type treat.... Cut Pita into chips and spray with cooking spray to make them crunchy in the oven. After cooking 300 for maybe 30-40 minutes until crunchy add a little honey and then powdered sugar. YUM

    Love Mama J who can only sign in anonymously still

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We've got to get you a lesson on how to use the internets, mom. XO

    ReplyDelete

Kin All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger